What's Up With Republican disconnect from planet Earth? - A Debate — HotWhopper Chat HotWhopper Chat
Follow HotWhopper:

Welcome to HotWhopper Chat

Before you post, read the introduction to HotWhopper Chat in the Wiki.

Welcome to HotWhopper Chat!

Whether you're new to climate topics or an expert you are most welcome. Before you can comment you'll need to register or sign in. Click one of the buttons below.

Where Australia's electricity comes from

This widget is updated every couple of minutes and shows why Australia is such a huge GHG emitter.

What's Up With Republican disconnect from planet Earth? - A Debate

Christmas Eve I posted an essay:

What's Up With Republican disconnect from planet Earth?

http://whatsupwiththatwatts.blogspot.com/2016/12/republican-disconnect-from-planet-earth.html

It received an interesting comment that I decided to turn into a couple stand alone posts.  

In one I repeated my standard invitation of a guest post, if he could rationally explain himself.  Well EM took me up on my invitation and sent me an organized 4,000 word response, although a chunk of that is quoting me.  It was thoughtful and polite and I posted his comment complete and unadulterated with any commentary, except for a short introduction. 

#3 E.M. has his say. Debating the Republican Disconnect from Earth's realities.

http://whatsupwiththatwatts.blogspot.com/2017/01/3em-his-say-debating-gop-disconnect.html

I've responded with.

#4 Debating Republican Disconnect From - Climate Science History

#5 Debating Republican Disconnect From Climate Science - Model Uncertainty

#6 Debating Republican Disconnect From Climate Science - Model substance + contrarian scientists

(Seitz, Singer, Lindzen, Spencer, Christy)

and more to come.  I keep trying to refine my writing, I like to think I'm bringing up some important ideas, but that's for others to figure out.

....... the sad part is that the circle of potential interesteds seems frightfully tiny.

Comments

• edited January 2017
    CC,
    All of EM's posts have been "removed by the administrator" on your WUWTW site?

His/her concern seems to be focused on the inaccuracies of models (as George E P Box said, "all models are wrong, but some are useful"). So what? As Hansen says, models are less important than (1) the laws of physics, (2) the facts of the paleoclimate, & (3) current measurements of conditions on the Earth.

I would point out that even EM believes we should continue climate science monitoring, something The Donald's aides seem to want to try to snuff out. They evidently believe, like 2 year olds, that if they close their eyes, the world stops.

Despite imperfections, models have predicted warming relatively well. Deniers, OTOH, have done poorly. CO2 is a greenhouse gas, we've transferred too much of it from underground fossil fuel stores to the atmosphere, it's warming us, & we are starting to see consequences therefrom. It's not that complicated if you're capable of perceiving reality (as you are & most Republican leaders are evidently not).

Paleoclimate data suggest that (1) ~1° C warming will eventually cause ~10 meters (metres) of sea level rise; & (2) the important number in a warming world, Earth system sensitivity, is ~6° C with doubled CO2. There is no getting around these facts. We need to hope that our grandchildren are knowledgeable in science, because they're going to have to figure out how to extract the enormous amounts of CO2 we've emitted into the atmosphere.

The plain reality is that ACC is threatening the very existence of the largest, wealthiest, most powerful industry in the history of the world, the oil industry. Unsurprisingly, their minions are trying to use fascist tactics to impose their psychotic delusions on all present & future life on Earth: that it's "free" & "harmless" to emit excessive carbon into the atmosphere. It's NOT free & NOT harmless. Sorry deniers.
  • Yes, I explained that other thread I just started.  Sorry Sou, I jumped straight to new post before realizing I'd already started this thread.  Just don't call me scattered.  :p

PG, I explained the deleted comments in my other thread.  He figured since I quoted those comments in my stand alone why not delete them, along with his real name.  Unfortunately, the program isn't set up to delete his name.

Or if anyone is familiar with Blogspot and that could get removed, let me know.  I do respect people's privacy.

That is, unless I get a near positive ID on Frolly1000.   >:). Got a source, but it's still too cagey for me to 'step up to the plate'.   Yet.
  • Oh and PG, I fully agree with you and am trying my best to enunciate it clearly as I move through his comments.

see the other thread for the list so far.
  • Maybe if you mark it as spam it is fully removed?
  • This is a bit late to the party, and I'm not sure what you're wanting to do CC. In the comments the blog administrators have a choice of:
    1. Marking a comment as spam - which removes it from the blog and moves it to the spam folder. This should only be used for real spam, because it's used by Google for its spam filtering process.
    2. Remove content - which leaves the comment in place but removes what is said. If the blog admin does it, the comment is replaced by "this comment has been removed by a blog administrator". If the author of the comment does it, the comment is replaced by "this comment has been removed by the author". (or similar).
    3. Delete - which deletes all trace of the comment, as well as any replies to the comment.
    The only ways to remove all trace of a comment, including the name of the person who wrote it, are 1. and 3. If it's not spam (advertising, link-spam etc) then I recommend 3. Delete. 

Sorry if this is missing the point. I haven't followed all the discussion (across two threads?)
  • Sorry Sou, I think you may have misunderstood.
    We were talking about dealing with some comments at my blogspot.

Yes, sorry for starting the second thread.