I'm continuing my charm offensive - re December 19th USA protests — HotWhopper Chat HotWhopper Chat
Follow HotWhopper:

Welcome to HotWhopper Chat

Before you post, read the introduction to HotWhopper Chat in the Wiki.

Welcome to HotWhopper Chat!

Whether you're new to climate topics or an expert you are most welcome. Before you can comment you'll need to register or sign in. Click one of the buttons below.

In this Discussion

Where Australia's electricity comes from

This widget is updated every couple of minutes and shows why Australia is such a huge GHG emitter.

I'm continuing my charm offensive - re December 19th USA protests

Yes I know we're supposed to be concerned with climate science and communications issue and politics per se, still somethings need to be said while there's still a small window of opportunity for something substantive to happen, that would be other than just more arm waving and ...

YO, December19.US Protesters, you forgot something.

http://citizenschallenge.blogspot.com/2016/12/yo-december19us-protesters-you-forgot.html

It seems to me there's a decided lack of clarity, resulting in aimless messaging.  Why are you protesting?  What are you protesting?  What are your specific goals?  If I could wave a magic wand and get someone that matters to listen, here would be my suggestions for issues that need to be explicitly focused on and enunciated.  I'm no pro-writer so it ain't pretty, but than what I'm going for is the thoughtful, perhaps even provocative, let others pretty it up.  Come on, this is for keeps, enough patty-cake - we must step it up, or we will get crushed!

What about demanding, Merrick Garland get his Supreme Court Vote January 3rd?

What about drawing attention to,Trump’s Russian obligations and him surrounding himself with “friends” of Russia?

What about drawing attention to Trump’s myriad business entanglements with enemy nations?

What about drawing attention to the fact that Trump’s win was hinged on a campaign of malicious wanton smears based on deliberately fabricated lies?  (With Russia doling out the PR, through the Alter-reality of Bannon and Breitbart’s lie factory).  WHY HAS THAT BECOME ACCEPTABLE?

What about demanding that this 
election get nullified if it turns out Putin played a decisive role in electing Trump his new obligate, the President of the Corporation of Amerika? 

What about spotlighting that self-interested Faith Based rejection of Objective Facts and Constructive Learning is an obscenely self-destructive way to operate our government?

What about demanding that “Evaluation of the Objective Facts trumps Personal Faith-Based decision-making” ?  What about ethics and honesty?
How about asking the question: Does American deserves a full time president, who's fully focused on leading his/her country - or a hobbyist?

How about asking the question: 

"Do we want a Russian Obligate President?"  

“Are we the United State of America 
or the Corporation of Amerika?”

What about demanding, Merrick Garland get his Supreme Court Vote January 3rd?

What about demanding, Merrick Garland get his Supreme Court Vote January 3rd?  What about demanding, Merrick Garland get his Supreme Court Vote January 3rd?  Over and over again!  In some way that is the single most important and doable thing.  If we can’t pull off that, … I shutter at the thought.

I bring this us because yesterday I listened in on a December19.US protest organizing group-call with much hope and finished feeling crushed and hopeless again.  I’m sorry for being the old grump, but it was like listening in on kids planning a picnic.  It was fine so far a “organizing’ stuff, but when it came to outlining the what and why of the protests, I was expecting a concise list, but there was nothing, beyond some mumbling.

Felt to me like the attitude was that, well we all know it all sucks and yeah, well you know, and bad people, want them to know, and ah, that’s why we need as many there as possible...  KNOW WHAT? 

What is this protest suppose to accomplish?
Change anything?
Create community and solidarity?
Education someone (ourselves, opponents, on-lookers, leaders, who?)?
Demand Any Actions?

None of that was addressed at the phone call, later I double checked their and other websites and there too, no genuine messaging.

Just like Clinton’s prez campaign.  Underestimating opponents.  Thinking that going through the motions is enough.  Inability to explain anything that matters to any one.  Inability to confront the dirty tricks that this liberal white bread crowd so abhors. 
It’s tragic how out of touch everyone seems to have become.

Now I’m back at looking at these protests as little more than exercises in venting and ‘feel good’.  

A protest needs a clear message and “I hate Trump” may be clear, but it doesn’t say a damned thing and it certainly doesn’t move anything forward.  

It doesn’t offer opponents, or bystanders, any explanation to help them understand what we are so upset about.  It doesn't offer ourselves any better understanding of what we are up agains these next years.  It makes no attempts to change any minds.  Nor does it draw any lines in the sand.  Nor does it lay out any set of expectations to help guide us forward.
Tagged:
Tagged:

Comments

• edited December 2016
    I wrote and posted that very early this morning, have had a chance to clean it up a little.  I've now sent December19.US an email to share this posting and hopefully shake 'em up a little bit.

If nothing else it would really be wonderful to see the "Demand Merrick Garland Vote Jan 3rd" gather real momentum.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    TO: hello@democracyspring.org

Dear December19.US
    Let me start by apologizing for being the party @¶*%!, but someone needs to do it.

I listened in on yesterday's 9pm phone call, wasn't able to get the CHAT feature to work for me, but I took notes. Please understand I am on your side - however, I have issues with how are going about this. I wrote the following post early this AM and cleaned it up a little a couple hours ago. 

Please take the time to read it and share - you folks need to step outside your own bubble, the game has changed big time, and we are up against patently ruthless people, what didn't work pre 2016 election catastrophe, isn't going to be helping us today. Gotta step it up!
    Sincerely, CC

I do fear I offend many people whom I respect and others I don't offend but simply grate on.  

I'm beyond the caring (and I so thank you Sou for giving me a place to do bit of my own venting.), at this moment I'm more concerned about making a historical record.  The coming storm will be a thing to behold as our Earth and the biosphere we depend on for everything is ever more speedily and with hubristic disregard and contempt devoured by people who have convinced most everyone else out there, that we are dependent on ever increasing consumption, while always demanding greater profits. 

All the while dreaming of 30 year investment plans and a better simpler government when there were half as many people on this Earth and four times as many available resources.  Talk about simpletonian, yet every evening on the news, there they go droning on with the moonshine.

The tunnel vision is breathtaking.