What's Up With Google Search Engine rerouting searches? — HotWhopper Chat HotWhopper Chat
Follow HotWhopper:

Welcome to HotWhopper Chat

Before you post, read the introduction to HotWhopper Chat in the Wiki.

Welcome to HotWhopper Chat!

Whether you're new to climate topics or an expert you are most welcome. Before you can comment you'll need to register or sign in. Click one of the buttons below.

Where Australia's electricity comes from

This widget is updated every couple of minutes and shows why Australia is such a huge GHG emitter.

What's Up With Google Search Engine rerouting searches?

I was looking for a video I'd planned to refer in the Delingpole thread when I weird thing happened.
Actually I've had irritating results with YouTube searches before, but this was too blatant and timely.

Does anyone here understand why a YouTube search for Greenman3610 would lead me directly to Heartland Institute Videos.

Comments

• I don't know how youtube does searches. Google itself tailors searches to users' patterns and preferences. I've always found the youtube search a bit flaky ie difficult. What I've found works is if you want someone's videos, just put their name in the search bar with nothing else. Then when you get to their videos, there's another search bar that appears where you can just search their channel.
  • Strange results. Especially because the first Greenman3610 video has much more views than the denier videos above it.

Interesting that Delingpole would go so deep as to appear on Alex Jones. I know they both cater to extreme right wing people, but I had expected the interpreter of interpreters to be a bit more sophisticated.

• edited September 2016
    Sou said:
    I don't know how youtube does searches. Google itself tailors searches to users' patterns and preferences. I've always found the youtube search a bit flaky ie difficult. What I've found works is if you want someone's videos, just put their name in the search bar with nothing else. Then when you get to their videos, there's another search bar that appears where you can just search their channel.
    Okay, but this isn't so much about me trying to find a video, I can variety my searches and I already have a decent idea of what I'm looking for.

The reason this upsets me is that, the innocents are lead to these garbage videos without realizing it.  Then I've seen some name copy-catting happening on the YouTube.  {yeah, yeah, pot meet kettle :p  }  
  • edited September 2016
    Sou,
    you've had a chance to get to know me over the years - what would you suggest for a title of my new blogspot blog - so I can move away from WUWTW? 

Come to think of it, Victor feel free to chime in.   
    =)  any suggestions?  
  • climate cuckoo country
    Climate warrior

Depends where you want to go with the blog, the audience you want to reach.

• I believe this is due to Heartland cross linking to other videos as 'relevant', causing the search engines to provide references. I recall this very issue coming up before (with some of the Denial101 videos?), not sure if there's a way to correct such nonsense...
  • I do not really understand your issue citizenschallenge. Surely what led to Google recommending Heartland was your search including "Delingpole" and "climate contrarian". Those terms firmly suggest a likely interest in Heartland material.
  • JS, but why ignore greenman3610?  - as I recall I tried it with greenman3610 first with pretty much same results.  And if they base hits on my viewing pattern I sure have watched way more of greenman3610 than Heartland lies.

KR, I think you're onto the answer - if I were a techie I'd love to learn more about how that works, but fear once you get into the nuts'n bolts I'd just glaze over.

No matter how many different tactics and gimmicks are used, it sucks that the contrarian scene has done such a good job of dominating both searches and videos on YouTube.
  • I dug up the earlier (personal communication) discussion - Heartland can do keyword targeted ads that lead to surprising videos, but the YouTube members posting those videos (like greenman3610) can block ads leading to Heartland in their Adsense account. There will likely still be some cross-linking via content and comments, but much less than with ad keywords. 
  • I agree about damage to innocents. I often get religious apocalytic material along with denier suggestions, and sometimes the video I want goes directly to something awful if I don't stop "play". I suspect search manipulation has always been a Morano and company specialty. It helps the false balance.