Really Important Comments! — HotWhopper Chat HotWhopper Chat
Follow HotWhopper:

Welcome to HotWhopper Chat

Before you post, read the introduction to HotWhopper Chat in the Wiki.

Welcome to HotWhopper Chat!

Whether you're new to climate topics or an expert you are most welcome. Before you can comment you'll need to register or sign in. Click one of the buttons below.

Where Australia's electricity comes from

This widget is updated every couple of minutes and shows why Australia is such a huge GHG emitter.

Really Important Comments!

If threads get too long then even worthwhile comments get lost. How about a manual  copy of such comments to a repository - should still allow highly moderated comments in case the comment is not as good as first thought! Perhaps voting could aid decision on worthiness?

Comments

• Nice idea - and I especially like the optimism TFP. It's very encouraging :)

I'll see what can be done to make that easier.
  • One message board (now defunct) I worked with had an option that allowed you to convert a particular discussion into a downloadable pdf. I used that option for a climate change discussion as there were some valuable comments/links that had accumulated over the years. 
  • SouSou
    edited August 2016
    On this board, you can bookmark discussions by clicking the small star on the top right hand of the discussion. After you've bookmarked one the "bookmark" link shows up in your sidebar. You'll still have to look through the thread to find the comment you particularly liked.

Most browsers these days let you save a page as a pdf. On Chrome you use the print... option. Click the hamburger icon on the top right of the page (other browsers would have something similar):

When the Print screen pops up, you can check "simplify" to just print the discussion without the rest of the page, and click "headers and footers" to have the page link displayed at the bottom (for future reference).

• Attached are two files. One is of the printed version without "simple" selected, but with "headers.." and "graphics" selected. The other is the same but with "simple" selected.

• I haven't used the print pdf from a webpage before. If a comment thread runs to several pages will it print off all of the pages or will it just print the current page? (that's a bit of a rhetorical question as I'll go check that for myself). -)

The climate thread ran to 30 pages, about 25 (or 50?) comments per page, and using the message board pdf maker I could convert all the pages into one file. 

Not that it really matters much at this point since we're in the early stages of testing, experimenting. 
  • Kand said:
    ...If a comment thread runs to several pages will it print off all of the pages or will it just print the current page? (that's a bit of a rhetorical question as I'll go check that for myself). -)
    Kand, you can choose to print all pages or select the pages you want to print. The preview shows the pages and page numbers to help you choose.