Non-climate related Trivia Question (deep evolution) — HotWhopper Chat HotWhopper Chat
Follow HotWhopper:

Welcome to HotWhopper Chat

Before you post, read the introduction to HotWhopper Chat in the Wiki.

Welcome to HotWhopper Chat!

Whether you're new to climate topics or an expert you are most welcome. Before you can comment you'll need to register or sign in. Click one of the buttons below.

Where Australia's electricity comes from

This widget is updated every couple of minutes and shows why Australia is such a huge GHG emitter.

Non-climate related Trivia Question (deep evolution)

The only other discussion forum I regularly visit is CFI, also with dismal participation (I hope it's not my BO).
I've been challenged with the following question, to which my response was considered inadequate.

So I'm curious if anyone over here might be able to share some insights or links to help with the following question:
Where did Glucose come from in a prebiotic world ?
I'll admit my original response and this follow up is pretty weak, but I don't have time or interest to make a study of "glucose" evolution though I'm certain some have and that with a bit of well directed research I could find it.  That's why I'm posting it here on the outside chance that someone reading this might know a bit about it.
Adonai888 - 01 February 2017 11:42 AM - what about you quote the part of the papers that explain how glucose formed in the prebiotic earth ? just throw a few unrelated papers and say : look here, wont work.

citizenschallenge:   What about you peeking beyond your blinders?
You want to know why big shot?
Because it don’t make one (fudging) bit of difference to the reality that,
it started with hydrogen
by and by stars, 
then further atoms,
then molecules,
Then Earth and again base elements 
then conglomerations of molecules,
then organized conglomerations,
then complex organized units
then complex organized units that learned how to cooperate with each other.
The rest is history, er, evolution.

All those stages and many not listed are demonstrated through countless examples.
That every detail has yet to be enunciated, 
doesn’t make the fundamental reality of the fundamental march of evolution any less valid.  

Besides, on top of that - What do you have to replace this beautiful exquisitely detailed, if not absolutely complete, storyline with?
a bunch of inconsistent blind guessing (I should have used "contrarianism"), such as that stuff you keep posting?

Comments

• Arguments from complexity/incredulity are almost impossible to counter since they are based primarily on rejecting the complexity of reality itself and they can simply disagree with you by saying 'you don't know that for sure!'. Creating a chemical reaction scheme/flow chart is pointless since there's not *one* specific source of glucose. That said, based on the composition glucose would most likely have formed from a combination of less complex precursor molecules, which in turn were created from Carbon Monoxide/Dioxide, water, and probably some involvement from Nitrogen and/or Sulphur compounds as well even if there's no N/S atoms in the final product.

A quick google search leads me to believe glucose has been created chemically as early as the 19th century, by a guy called Hermann Fischer. Don't know if there's earlier evidence, but simply showing him as an example should already work to show making glucose is *not* all that hard.

Also, I think this one might be useful, it's about amino acids and not glucose, but the same principle applies: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16404523
    PG_Antioch
  • edited February 2017
    Very cool thank you.
    It won't convince my pal - but sure like your introduction and the follow up is solid.  I'll check that link and pass along your thoughts.  I figure you don't mind me dropping your name.
  • CC,
    I found this question-answer on stack exchange. Glucose is a stable molecule that could form from H2O & various carbon compounds under the right conditions. There has been speculative work on these things.

http://biology.stackexchange.com/questions/2934/why-is-glucose-our-primary-source-of-energy

Since it's found in archaea, one would assume these pathways evolved on the order of ~3 B yrs ago (very roughly).

• Very cool thank you.
    It won't convince my pal - but sure like your introduction and the follow up is solid.  I'll check that link and pass along your thoughts.  I figure you don't mind me dropping your name.
    Well, you might want to go for a slightly more diplomatic beginning if you're looking to convince people with my comment, but I'm glad to be of help. Good luck!
  • Diplomatic?, I used to put a lot of stock in that.  But, you know, considering what America's Tea Party movement and what Breitbart fraudsters have accomplished with rage and lies and unhinged hostility and their absolutely anti-diplomatic approach.  Makes me wonder if bending over for other's illusions is the way to go.

My standard is to try and keep it rational - but more and more I'm thinking if a little bitch-slapping is called for, why not.  
    For the heck of it, a segue into trying to define what I am for - from a discussion at CFI.

What do humanists hope to see?,

An enlightened approach to scientific facts and understanding.  An enlighten appreciation for this planet we depend on.

An appreciation that there is a profound difference between Personal Truths and Universal Truths 
    and that this distinction NEEDS to be enunciated and understood and respected for a society to hope to function sanely.

Honesty and human dignity and behaving with grace and empathy towards others, particularly the less fortunate.

Rejection of absolutism.

Appreciation of curiosity, learning and diversity.

An appreciation that We Need Each Other to Keep Ourselves Honest.

and so on and so froth.

PG_Antioch
  • To be clear that's a non-gender B. slapping.   o:) 
    PG_Antioch