Critical thinking and keeping an open mind — HotWhopper Chat HotWhopper Chat
Follow HotWhopper:

Welcome to HotWhopper Chat

Before you post, read the introduction to HotWhopper Chat in the Wiki.

Welcome to HotWhopper Chat!

Whether you're new to climate topics or an expert you are most welcome. Before you can comment you'll need to register or sign in. Click one of the buttons below.

Where Australia's electricity comes from

This widget is updated every couple of minutes and shows why Australia is such a huge GHG emitter.

Critical thinking and keeping an open mind

Hi All

some people maybe aware of "QualiaSoup"

He has a youtube channel and produces some excellent videos in critical thinking, true scepticism and related topics

anyway, two that I think are particularly good - and have helped me organise my thoughts enabling me to sift through the morass of cr4p out there are

and

very useful as I am NOT a scientist and often have to examine the rhetoric and multiple logical fallacies used by deniers

Comments

• I don't know about this. I've worked for decades on my irrational prejudices.  Thanks
  • I  am not allowed to watch the first video in German, bu the conversation in the thumbnail could not be more wrong.

Person 1: "I'm a scientist"
    Person 2: "You think you know it all"

As a scientists you may know more about your speciality than the general public, but a scientist is also aware of all the things we do not know. Why else do science?
  • indeed Victor

"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"

attributed to Einstein, but I think that might be an internet myth

• That's the same point that the video is making, Victor.
  • Tadaaa, I will assume from now on that all Einstein quotes are myths until proven otherwise. Sou, that is what you get when the music rights monopoly in your country does not come to an agreement with YouTube. Then I like the video. :awesome: 
  • The more you know, the more you realize how much you don't know. Far too many people don't understand this simple reality and add to that a lack of any intellectual curiosity and they will never figure it out. A real desire to learn is the first step in developing critical thinking skills and an open mind. 
  • edited September 2016
    Add to that people's ego seems to have become supersensitive.  Like being caught in a mistake is hideous and the person who spotted the mistake is a bad buy.

Rationalist realize we make mistakes, they even hurt our egos sometimes, but mistakes are always valuable learning tools, so we find it easier to "own" our mistakes, learn the lessons to understand the mistake and move along.  

You'll notice the Right Wing mindset is dependent on absolutism and self-certainty and taking offense at corrections and the messengers of said corrections.  Although they do like using mistakes to bludgeon others.

But, back to "QualiaSoup" been a while since I've watched those, but seems to me they were always quality concise explications, and no frills.  Good stuff.

• You'll notice the Right Wing mindset is dependent on absolutism and self-certainty and taking offense at corrections and the messengers of said corrections.  Although they do like using mistakes to bludgeon others.

yes, I see this behaviour all the time - to paraphrase

"judge a man not how he behaves when he is right, but how he behaves when shown to be wrong"