Help wanted for Wiki — HotWhopper Chat HotWhopper Chat
Follow HotWhopper:

Welcome to HotWhopper Chat

Before you post, read the introduction to HotWhopper Chat in the Wiki.

Welcome to HotWhopper Chat!

Whether you're new to climate topics or an expert you are most welcome. Before you can comment you'll need to register or sign in. Click one of the buttons below.

Where Australia's electricity comes from

This widget is updated every couple of minutes and shows why Australia is such a huge GHG emitter.

Help wanted for Wiki

SouSou
edited September 2016 in Suggestions and Feedback
Thanks to Baerbel who's started adding to the new Wiki, but it would be really great to get some more volunteers to help populate it. All you have to do is register on the Wiki (top right corner) and you can add to or edit the entries on these pages:

Editing isn't hard. There's an edit icon to the right of the screen. There are guidelines on this page. If you were able to donate 10 minutes a day for a few days, the Wiki would grow hugely. Even just adding one or two links a day would help enormously.

To get back to the Wiki home page at any time, just click on the logo on the top left of every page. Any other questions, just ask. Any suggestions - please add. (Eg I think it would be nice to pretty it up in time, with images. For now, getting some data in there is the priority.)

Comments

• Sou - I have some more links to add in mind but I'm not sure if they fit either of the two available categories. Here are some examples (sorry, no links as I'm just using my iPad right now):

Gavin Schmidt's Ted Talk "The emergent patterns of climate change"
    Ars Technica's "Why trust climate models?"
    Links to climate related MOOCs to keep an eye on
    SkS' "The history of climate science"
    SkS'  Rough guides to "The slow carbon cycle" and "Jet stream"

So, these my be links to individual/specific pages or articles but not necessarily to the whole blog or website.

Should we group these by topic or just one big list with "other relevant links"?
  • We can change the heading of "climate references" if you think of something better. Or use that as a sub-heading and add another heading.

Also, I'm okay with you creating new pages Baerbel. I've given you access permission that will allow you to add pages as well as sections. If you find you can't do something you'd like to do, just shoot me an pm (chat message) or email and I'll enable it if I can. (I'm still figuring out things like permissions and security so for now the Wiki is locked down except for registered users being able to edit existing pages, unless I explicitly give access to do more.)

Regarding sorting and grouping - I think sub-headings will make it easier to find things. What do you think? For example, we can probably break things up on the Climate Reference page with sections for:
    • Overview/intro to climate change(for websites that have the lot)
    • climate models;
    • history of climate science (the SkS page and Spencer Weart's pages);
    • videos (Ted talks, Denial101) etc.
    Or whatever works. 

The beauty is that we can change things easily, and add more headings or pages as the number of references grows. We can try different ways of organising the material and if we don't like it, we can easily change it by cutting and pasting into different headings or pages.

I'm happy for you to have a shot at whatever you think will work best, Baerbel.

If the number of blogs grows, that blog table could also be divided into sections for straight science, general, denier debunking etc. - or maybe just add another column with a tag that allows sorting.
  • SouSou
    edited September 2016
    I've changed the page name of climate references to climate resources, which seems to be a better description. Old links will go to the old page, but I've put a link there to go to the new page. I think I've fixed up all the links on the wiki itself, but if anyone notices an old one, let me know (or fix it).
  • I added the two model-related links and a "Model" section to put them under. I also changed the entries under "Climate Science Websites" to a bullet list so that this section is formatted like the others.
  • SouSou
    edited September 2016
    Thanks Baerbel. With your prompting, I've added a couple of links about models to Steve Easterbrook's talk and presentation, too. I've also shifted the websites to the top of that page - easier to find them. I might move the models up too, though I've put a couple of the videos on their own page as well.
  • I had a go at adding a blog but couldn't see how to add another cell to the table. My suggestion was 'All Models are Wrong' by climate scientist Tamsin Edwards, though she hasn't posted recently. There way be others on PLOS.

• SouSou
    edited September 2016
    Thanks Katy. I've added it to the blog list. The way you add to the list is by
    • going into edit (the pen icon on the right),
    • clicking inside the row below the spot you want to add.
    • Then right-click (or the equivalent) and from the list that appears choose "row/insert row before".
    • Then a new row will appear and you can add the entry.
    • Then scroll down the bottom and click "save" :pleased: 
    Let me know if that doesn't work for you. (Perhaps I should add that to the intro.)