Trump, here's to looking at the Man in the Mirror. — HotWhopper Chat HotWhopper Chat
Follow HotWhopper:

Welcome to HotWhopper Chat

Before you post, read the introduction to HotWhopper Chat in the Wiki.

Welcome to HotWhopper Chat!

Whether you're new to climate topics or an expert you are most welcome. Before you can comment you'll need to register or sign in. Click one of the buttons below.

Where Australia's electricity comes from

This widget is updated every couple of minutes and shows why Australia is such a huge GHG emitter.

Trump, here's to looking at the Man in the Mirror.

edited October 2016 in Latte Bar

George Monbiot has written another insightful, if biting, examination.  I like this one, because I've been thinking about how Trump both personifies and and exhausts in being the Ugly American, wishing I had the time to try building an essay around it, but too busy with work of late.  
Of course, Monbiot does an excellent job of fleshing it out.  I hope this intro encourages you to read the rest of the article

The Man in the Mirror

28th October 2016

Donald Trump is not an outlier, but the distillation of our dominant values

By George Monbiot, published in the Guardian 26th October 2016

What is the worst thing about Donald Trump? The lies? The racist stereotypes? The misogyny? The alleged gropings? The apparent refusal to accept democratic outcomes? All these are bad enough. But they’re not the worst. 

The worst thing about Donald Trump is that he’s the man in the mirror.

We love to horrify ourselves with his excesses, and to see him as a monstrous outlier, the polar opposite of everything a modern, civilised society represents. But he is nothing of the kind. He is the distillation of all that we have been induced to desire and admire. 

Trump is so repulsive not because he offends our civilisation’s most basic values, but because he embodies them.

Trump personifies the traits promoted by the media and corporate worlds he affects to revile; the worlds that created him. He is a bundle of extrinsic values – the fetishisation of wealth, power and image – in a nation where extrinsic values are championed throughout public discourse. His conspicuous consumption, self-amplification and towering (if fragile) ego are in tune with the dominant narratives of our age.

As the recipient of vast inherited wealth who markets himself as solely responsible for his good fortune, he is the man of our times.  ...

http://www.monbiot.com/2016/10/28/the-man-in-the-mirror/

PG_Antioch

Comments